Friday 28 March 2014

Getting to know ... Adelaide Godwin



Today we have a guest post from Adelaide Godwin, whose delightful novel for young readers, Landing On My Feet: The Adventures of Poohka the Cat, will be released on Monday 31st March. Poohka is a wild pussycat in a plush Spanish town. Life is good and the going is easy. Then one day he's swept up by a rubbish truck, crushed and dumped many miles from home. Now his life hangs in the balance. Landing On My Feet: The Adventures of Poohka the Cat is a remarkable tale of feline bravery and endurance, an epic adventure that will delight early readers everywhere.


What genre would you say your novels fall into, or do they defy classification?
Children's Fact/Fantasy 8 to 12 year olds.

What made you choose that genre?
I think it chose me!  As a first time writer with absolutely no writing experience, you will understand more when you read my author's biography.

How long does it take you to write a book?
It took me 6 months to write the story, but 18 months to do the paintings that led to the story.  So 2 years from start to finish.

What is your work schedule like when you're writing?
For the first it was fairly erratic.  I will be having a strict routine with my second book.

Where do you get your ideas for your books?
From the animals I know.  I look after the feral cats here on our urbanisation, I learn a lot from them.

When did you write your first book and how old were you?
This is my first book - I am just coming up for 59! Hopefully one is never too old or too late!

What do you like to do when you're not writing?
I enjoy painting, the art world, padel tennis, animals, travelling, life on the Costa del Sol.

What was one of the most surprising things you learned in creating your books?
The last line of the book was the first sentence I wrote and the rest just kept flowing.  I was also surprised how much I enjoyed writing.

How many books have you written?
One!

As a child, what did you want to do when you grew up?
Anthropologist or a Fashion Designer

What are you working on now?
My second book: Landing on my feet, the adventures of Lolo the cat.


Adelaide Godwin was educated at an Ursuline convent in a remote Belgian village before attending Winkfield Place Finishing School, famous as Constance Spry’s school. There she achieved a Cordon Bleu Diploma and went on to work for Prue Leith in London and as chef at the Little London Restaurant in Chichester. Adelaide has also worked in the television and film industry doing small acting roles, as well as some photographic and voiceover work. She now divides her time between the UK and southern Spain where she cares for animals, writes, paints and enjoys the Mediterranean sunshine.

Critique Service for Writers

Flash 500 Home Page: Flash Fiction, Humour Verse
and Novel Opening Chapter and Synopsis Competitions

No comments:

Post a Comment